Pop culture conventions are generally a tricky thing – being pop culture, it caters to a whole bunch of differing genres and mediums, thus having to make a balance between all of them. Last June 30, 2012 – July 1, 2012 saw the first Oz Comic-Con in Melbourne heralding the monolithic Stan Lee and venerable Patrick Stewart in attendance – two power houses in their respective areas. Because of this, many across Victoria, and even from overseas flocked to the Melbourne Exhibition Centre to see them, creating many issues and problems and causing many to loudly voice out their complaints.
Seemingly in response to this, another large convention in Melbourne, Armageddon Expo, made an announcement that with their years of experience in running conventions and having listened to attendant’s feedback, they will strive to give quality service and experiences to those who attend Armageddon Expo 2012, which is also held in the Melbourne Exhibition Centre on 13 October, 2012 and 14 October 2012.
Amongst their arrangements is that they have expanded into a 4th bay, which will prove to be the largest Armageddon thus far, providing a larger area for autograph booths and photo booths, wider aisles in between stalls, allowing people to walk about freely, as opposed to the tight aisles and walkways previous conventions have been plagued with. They have also announced that they will be selling autograph tokens and photo tokens online to prevent the massive queuing for said tokens, and reducing overall wait times.
They have also said to feature a number of guests from different mediums and genres, and as each week passes throughout July will reveal more of their roster. As of writing, the following guests have been slated to attend:
- Little Kuriboh aka Martin Billany, creator of the Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged Series and forerunner of the Abridged series
- Jonny Yong Bosch (Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach, Vash the Stampede from Trigun, Adam Park from Might Morphin’ Power Rangers)
- Christopher Heyerdahl (Zor-El from Smallville, Alistair from Supernatural, Dieter Braun from True Blood)
- Aldis Hodge (Alec Hardison from Leverage, Ray “Voodoo” Tatum from Friday Night Lights)
- Christopher Judge (Teal’c from Stargate SG-1, Magneto from X-men:Evolution)
- Bob Layton, Iron Man Artist and co-creator of the “Demon in a Bottle” Iron Man storyline)
- Mela Lee (Yuki Cross from Vampire Knight, Rin Tousaka from Fate/Stay Night)
- Mark Pellegrino (Lucifer from Supernatural, Jacob from Lost, Paul Bennett from Dexter)
DC Comics and Warner Brothers have also given their sponsorship to the event, giving them a large presence when it opens on October 13.
Tickets for Armageddon go on sale on the 1st of August at 9 am on ticketek.com.
For more information go to http://armageddonexpo.com