Nerdook’s whodunnit adventure coming to PC, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One in September
12 August, 2021 – Indie publisher Digerati is happy to confirm the release dates for The Magister. The murder-mystery card battler will launch September 2nd on Steam and Nintendo Switch, and September 3rd for Xbox One.
The latest game from developer Nerdook (Monster Slayers, Vertical Drop Heroes, Reverse Crawl), The Magister puts players in the role of a Magister – agents assigned to enforce the rule of law in the far-flung provinces of the Empire – who is dispatched to the remote village of Silverhurst to investigate a murder.
Players will be able to sample The Magister ahead of its release courtesy of The Magister: The First Two Days. As the name suggests, it will include the first two days of the randomly-generated whodunnit adventure (the full game takes place over 14 days). An exact release date is still to be confirmed for The Magister: The First Two Days, but it will be available to download from Steam for free sometime before September 2nd.
The Magister release date trailer:
About the game
The Magister is a murder-mystery card-battler RPG. Build and customise your deck to fight in battles, or use ‘Tactical Diplomacy’ to pacify those who stand in your way. Gather clues and discover motives as you investigate the death of your predecessor and unmask the guilty culprit.
- Randomly generated murder-mystery: A walkthrough won’t help here! The events, clues, motives, and murderer change with every playthrough. Only YOU can identify the guilty suspect.
- Tactical card-based encounters: Your combat and negotiation skills are determined by the cards in your deck. Use a vast array of cards, such as ‘Heartstopper’, ‘Poison Slash’, ‘Weak Joke’, and ‘Long Talk’.
- Pacify enemies for a peaceful outcome: Use ‘Tactical Diplomacy’ as an alternative to fighting and calm foes with your conversation cards to reduce their Rage level to 0.
- Choose your Magister: Different Magisters come with their own specialities and flaws. From cunning alcoholic to intelligent insomniac – every variation defines a different adventure.
- Recruit a human ally or furry companion: If needed, a Mercenary, Spy, or Sage can be recruited to assist in your investigation. You can also befriend one of the local cats or dogs to fight by your side in battles.
Set in a captivating fantasy world: You have 14 days to wander Silverhurst and befriend or intimidate its inhabitants as you race against time to unmask the murderer.
As a publisher, Digerati is dedicated to helping independent developers bring their creations to market and into the hands of gamers. We take care of funding, distribution, marketing and production, leaving developers to focus on what they love – making incredible games and unique experiences.
Sim YC, better known as Nerdook, is a one-man independent game developer. He holds a degree in Electrical Engineering and spent 5 years in the oil and gas industry before becoming a full time game developer. With over 50 million plays of his browser games, Nerdook now divides his time between developing new games and being a dad of three kids.