Physical versions are on the way from Limited Run Games
Valencia, Calif. – June 14, 2021 – Independent game studio WayForward is delighted to announce that all five titles in the fan-favorite Shantae series are headed to the PlayStation 5 system in the months ahead. The games will be available as native PS5 purchases, or as free upgrades for users that already own the games on PlayStation 4, plus they will be offered as physical releases (in both standard and collector’s editions) through Limited Run Games. Additionally, the original Shantae will be coming both physically and digitally to PlayStation 4.
Having sold more than 3 million copies worldwide since its debut in 2002, the acclaimed Shantae series tells the story of Shantae, the hair-whipping, belly-dancing, shape-shifting, Half-Genie guardian of Scuttle Town. Along with friends such as Bolo, Sky, and Rottytops the zombie, she protects the land from nefarious pirates and other dastardly threats. The line-up of action-adventure-platformers consists of five titles, each sold separately:
- Shantae — The one that started it all! Experience Shantae’s classic original adventure and stop the self-proclaimed Queen of the Seven Seas, Risky Boots, from finding four powerful elemental stones! Now with trophies for the first time!
- Shantae: Risky’s Revenge – Director’s Cut — Risky Boots is back with another sinister scheme! Put an end to her plans by acquiring three Magic Seals from the devious Barons of Sequin Land.
- Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse — Shantae sets sail for swashbuckling action as she gains new Pirate Gear abilities and teams up with her nemesis to face an even greater threat!
- Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition — In Shantae’s first full HD adventure, she must thwart a number of villainous plots perpetrated by her greatest foes! Several extra modes are included, offering new play mechanics and modified levels.
- Shantae and the Seven Sirens — New Half-Genie friends, new transformations, and new enemies await as Shantae travels to tropical Paradise Island where a mysterious sunken city lies beneath the waves. Featuring a new collectible Monster Card system and an animated intro by Studio TRIGGER!
Digital pricing of the Shantae games is expected to be equal to the existing PS4 versions where applicable. Further information, including digital release dates and physical preorder dates, will be announced at a later time. For the latest news on these and other WayForwards titles, please visit www.wayforward.com and follow @wayforward on Twitter and Facebook.
Based in Valencia, California, WayForward was founded in 1990 and has remained an independent game developer for more than 30 years. It is home to many talented individuals including programmers, environment artists, animators, modelers, illustrators, audio wizards, designers, and team leaders. With new avenues for distributing games directly to fans, they are finally able to make the games they have always wanted to.
About Limited Run Games
Limited Run Games is a Raleigh-based publisher founded in 2015 that focuses on preserving games in a physical format. Publishing over 300 games in its lifetime and winning awards for its bespoke Collector’s Editions, Limited Run is the gold standard in bringing digital-only games to physical form for casual fans and collectors alike. Visit limitedrungames.com for the latest offerings, or follow the brand on your social media platform of choice for all LRG-related updates: @limitedrungames.