Biggest update yet overhauls campaign, adds NPCs, outposts, and more
HAMBURG, Germany – July 30th, 2020 – Publisher Daedalic, and independent studios FakeFish and Undertow Games, proudly announce “New Frontiers”, the biggest update to the unique Sci-Fi submarine simulation Barotrauma since Steam Early Access started last June.
“New Frontiers” further enriches the game by adding a campaign-based journey with a mysterious destination in the depths of Europa. Multiple aspects of the game have been improved to create a real sense of progression in the campaign mode, and a work-in-progress ending has been implemented together with an accessible endgame location.
- Outposts: The crew is now able to physically reach and explore outposts at the start and endpoint of a mission. AI inhabitants and randomized events keep the outposts alive. Players can trade, restock equipment, hire new crewmates and more.
- Submarines: The crew’s swimming home base will develop throughout the journey. Beginning with a modest sub, players are able to update and modify the hull, different machinery and weaponry as they progress. All available improvements apply to modded ships as well, so the community can seamlessly integrate their own creations into the campaign.
- Crewmates: The heart of the game, the submarine’s crew, is no longer randomized between campaign missions when playing with bots. Every crewmate becomes a valuable part of the mission and can be individually trained, so you should not use them as expendable cannon fodder. The bot AI was also improved.
- In-game economy: Players are able to sell items, prices are balanced and different items are available at different locations in the game.
- Visuals: The developers visually overhauled the majority of sprites in the game and revised the campaign map.
“New Frontiers” marks the next step towards Barotrauma’s full launch and is available for free. For more information, check out Barotrauma on Steam.
About Daedalic Entertainment (Publisher)
Daedalic Entertainment publishes and develops high-quality games for all platforms. The company has a diverse line-up of high-quality titles, including classic adventures, RPGs, and strategy and multiplayer games. With more than 80 employees, Daedalic is currently developing a new line-up of innovative games across consoles, PC and mobile platforms.
Based in Hamburg, Germany, Daedalic is one of Europe’s most acclaimed publishers and developers. With a total of 32 awards in the German Developers Award (including multiple accolades for ‘Studio of the Year’) and 12 German Computer Game Awards for genre-defining games such as Deponia, Edna & Harvey, Silence, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Ken Follett’s The Pillars of the Earth, The Long Journey Home, and State of Mind, Daedalic is a record holder for the two most prestigious game awards in Germany.
Daedalic currently develops the AAA title The Lord of the Rings – Gollum. The action-adventure that tells the story of Gollum from a perspective never witnessed before in any storytelling media, all the while staying faithful to the legendary books of J.R.R. Tolkien.
About FakeFish and Undertow GamesBarotrauma began as an open-development project by Undertow Games, the developer of the free open-source horror game SCP – Containment Breach. In early 2018, the award-winning fellow indie studio FakeFish Ltd. joined the project with their team of industry veterans and fresh talents to launch Barotrauma on Steam. Now the joint studio, based in Turku, Finland, develops survival horror PC titles supporting extensive user-generated content and packed with built-in editors.