Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI: Gathering Storm Available February 14, 2019
Largest Civilization expansion to date set to add an active world with environmental challenges, a Diplomatic Victory, new civilizations and all-new game systems
SYDNEY AUSTRALIA – November 21, 2018– 2K and Firaxis Games have announced that Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI: Gathering Storm, the second expansion pack for the critically acclaimed and award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI, will be available for Windows PC on February 14, 2019.
Civilization VI: Gathering Storm will introduce an active planet where geology and climatology present unique new challenges. Players will build new Engineering Projects, manage their cities’ Power and Consumable Resources and work with other world leaders in the World Congress to deal with the challenges presented by the dynamic forces of nature. This new expansion also extends the Technology and Civics trees with a future era and adds nine new leaders from eight new civilizations, a new Diplomatic Victory condition, a variety of new units, districts, wonders, buildings and more.
“As Sid Meier’s Civilization approaches its 27th anniversary, 2K is honoured to unveil Civilization VI’s second robust expansion, inviting fans to explore and master the franchise’s rich and strategic gameplay in all-new ways with Civilization VI: Gathering Storm,” said Melissa Bell, SVP and Head of Global Marketing at 2K. “Once again, the team at Firaxis has exceeded expectations to evolve Civilization’s features with the largest expansion ever developed for the series.”
“With Sid Meier’s Civilization VI: Gathering Storm, players are now faced with a changing, active planet that places new challenges and opportunities in front of them,” added Ed Beach, Lead Designer at Firaxis Games. “Volcanoes, river floods, droughts and massive storms all await and are a part of our new Global Climate system that can cause ice sheets to melt and sea levels to rise based on players’ choices about how they want to interact with the environment.”
Key features for Sid Meier’s Civilization VI: Gathering Storm include:
- ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS: Volcanoes, storms (blizzards, sand storms, tornados and hurricanes), climate change, floods and droughts will bring the world to life in a brand new way. Settlement choices are more important than ever for players as they balance high risks and high rewards;
- POWER AND CONSUMABLE RESOURCES: Strategic resources play an additional role in Civilization VI: Gathering Storm. These resources are now consumed in power plants to generate electricity for cities. Initially, players’ advanced buildings will be powered by burning carbon-based resources like Coal and Oil, but renewable energy sources also unlock as players progress to current-day technologies. The choices a player makes about resource usage will directly affect the world’s temperature and can cause melting ice caps and rising sea levels;
- ENGINEERING PROJECTS: Players can now shape the world around their empires to overcome unfavorable land conditions by making improvements like canals, dams, tunnels and railroads. When settling cities, players will need to consider the flood risk to coastal lowland areas, but keep in mind that in the late-game, new technologies like Flood Barriers can be used to protect these tiles;
- WORLD CONGRESS: For the first time in Civilization VI, players can make their voices heard among the other leaders of the world. Along the way, they can earn Diplomatic Favor through Alliances, influence city-states, compete in World Games and more. In addition, they can use Diplomatic Favor to extract promises from other leaders, vote on Resolutions, call a Special Session to address an emergency and increase the weight of votes in their quests to achieve the new Diplomatic Victory;
- 21st CENTURY TECHNOLOGIES & CIVICS: A new era has been added to the Technology and Civics trees. As well, players will combat new environmental effects with speculative ideas, such as relocating their populations out to seasteads and developing technologies to recapture carbon emissions;
- NEW LEADERS AND CIVS: Nine new leaders from eight new civilizations are introduced. Each brings unique bonuses and gameplay, as well as a total of nine unique units, four unique buildings, three unique improvements, two unique districts and one unique governor;
- NEW SCENARIOS:
- The Black Death: The Black Death ravaged Europe and western Asia in the mid-14th century, killing a greater share of the population than any other event in world history. The player’s task is to lead his or her nation through the calamity: keep the population alive, the economy strong and faith unshaken amidst a world of terror and desperation;
- War Machine: At the outset of WWI, the German Imperial Army had a daring plan: invade neutral Belgium and then rush the French heartland before its leaders could mobilize to resist. When war was declared, both armies swung into motion and set up one of the most incredible and shocking military campaigns in world history. In this multiplayer scenario, players take the side of one of these two great powers at this same precipice. The clock is ticking, and the enemy is moving;
- MORE NEW CONTENT: Civilization VI: Gathering Storm will introduce seven new world wonders, seven natural wonders, 18 new units, 15 new improvements, nine new buildings, five new districts, two new city sets, nine new techs and 10 new civics;
- IMPROVED GAMEPLAY SYSTEMS: The Espionage system will be enhanced with new options. In addition, the Culture and Science Victories have been updated, new Historic Moments have been added and additional improvements have been made to other existing systems.
Developed by Firaxis Games, Sid Meier’s Civilization VI is rated PG and is available now for Windows PC and Nintendo Switch™. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI is also available for iPhone, iPad, Mac and Linux from Aspyr Media. Sid Meier’s Civilization VI: Gathering Storm will be available on February 14, 2019 for Windows PC and coming shortly thereafter for Mac and Linux from Aspyr Media.
For more information on Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, visit www.civilization.com, become a fan on Facebook, subscribe on YouTube, follow Civilization on Twitter and Instagram and join the conversation using the hashtag #OneMoreTurn.
Firaxis Games is a 2K studio. 2K is a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO).
All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.
About Take-Two Interactive Software
Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is a leading developer, publisher and marketer of interactive entertainment for consumers around the globe. The Company develops and publishes products principally through its wholly-owned labels Rockstar Games and 2K, as well as its Private Division label and Social Point, a leading developer of mobile games. Our products are designed for console systems and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets, and are delivered through physical retail, digital download, online platforms and cloud streaming services. The Company’s common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO. For more corporate and product information please visit our website at http://www.take2games.com.
Founded in 2005, 2K develops and publishes interactive entertainment globally for console systems, handheld gaming systems and personal computers, including smartphones and tablets, which are delivered through physical retail, digital download, online platforms and cloud streaming services. 2K publishes titles in today’s most popular gaming genres, including shooters, action, role-playing, strategy, sports, casual, and family entertainment. The 2K label has some of the most talented development studios in the world today, including Firaxis Games, Visual Concepts, Hangar 13, Cat Daddy Games and 2K China. 2K’s stable of high quality titles includes the critically acclaimed BioShock®, Borderlands™, Mafia, and XCOM® franchises, the beloved Sid Meier’s Civilization series, Evolve™, Battleborn®, the popular WWE 2K franchise and NBA 2K, the highest rated* annual sports title of this console generation.
*According to 2008 – 2018 Metacritic.com
About Firaxis Games
Firaxis Games™ is one of the world’s premier game development studios, and home of legendary designer Sid Meier. Firaxis has developed some of the most successful and award-winning PC and video games on the market today, including the award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization® series, featuring the recently released Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, for Windows PC, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth™ for Windows PC, the expansion pack Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth – Rising Tide for Windows PC, Sid Meier’s Civilization V for Windows PC, as well as the critically acclaimed expansion packs, Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Brave New World and Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Gods and Kings for Windows PC. Firaxis also released the 2012 Game of the Year award-winning XCOM®: Enemy Unknown for Windows PC, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Apple iOS, along with the critically acclaimed expansion pack XCOM: Enemy Within for Windows PC, the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation3 computer entertainment system, and Apple iOS. Firaxis Games is owned by Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., and is part of its 2K publishing label. For more information about Firaxis and its games can be found at www.firaxis.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
The statements contained herein which are not historical facts are considered forward-looking statements under federal securities laws and may be identified by words such as “anticipates,” “believes,” “estimates,” “expects,” “intends,” “plans,” “potential,” “predicts,” “projects,” “seeks,” “should,” “will,” or words of similar meaning and include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the outlook for the Company’s future business and financial performance. Such forward-looking statements are based on the current beliefs of our management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to them, which are subject to inherent uncertainties, risks and changes in circumstances that are difficult to predict. Actual outcomes and results may vary materially from these forward-looking statements based on a variety of risks and uncertainties including: our dependence on key management and product development personnel, our dependence on our Grand Theft Auto products and our ability to develop other hit titles, the timely release and significant market acceptance of our games, the ability to maintain acceptable pricing levels on our games, and risks associated with international operations. Other important factors and information are contained in the Company’s most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K, including the risks summarized in the section entitled “Risk Factors,” the Company’s most recent Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q, and the Company’s other periodic filings with the SEC, which can be accessed at www.take2games.com. All forward-looking statements are qualified by these cautionary statements and apply only as of the date they are made. The Company undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.