inXile Entertainment Announces Aug. 14, 2018, Release Date for The Bard’s Tale Trilogy Remaster
The first volume in The Bard’s Tale Trilogy arrives on Steam and GOG.com for PC on Aug. 14, with the remaining volumes launching later this year
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – Aug. 6, 2018 – inXile Entertainment, the studio led by Interplay founder and industry icon Brian Fargo, is proud to announce The Bard’s Tale Trilogy, a complete remaster of the legendary series that helped define the RPG genre. Featuring updated graphics and optional quality-of-life gameplay features, The Bard’s Tale Trilogy is the ideal way to experience the dungeon crawling challenge that made the original games beloved classics. The title will release on Aug. 14, 2018, for PC on both Steam and GOG.com with a retail price of $14.99.
Features of The Bard’s Tale Trilogy include:
- Remasters of all three original The Bard’s Tale games. The first volume, Tales of the Unknown, is available at launch, with The Destiny Knight (fall 2018) and Thief of Fate (winter 2018) arriving later in the year.
- A uniform playing experience across all three titles without the need for emulation or compatibility concerns.
- Create a party in the first volume and play it across all three volumes to create a heroic narrative all your own.
- For the first time, play as male or female across all three games. Also includes other quality-of-life changes such as automapping for all three games, spell access, and updated equipment/inventory management.
- Updated art that holds true to the spirit of the originals, featuring never-before-used character art by series creator Michael Cranford!
- An opportunity for new players to experience the events that led to The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep and The Mage’s Tale!
- The final content to be released will be a Legacy Mode, a set of options which allows players to make the titles play similarly to the 1980s originals… with all the challenge that entails!
Partnering with Australia-based Krome Studios, The Bard’s Tale Trilogy is an ambitious undertaking for inXile, especially as no complete source code for the original games could be found. Not only that, each game worked and looked differently depending on its platform, and each title was different in many ways from the others. Often times, it was discovered that features in some versions of the games were present but had no actual functionality.
“If archaeology and game development had a baby, it would be this project,” said Lindsay Parmenter, Head of Development at Krome. “By studying the code across different versions of the game, we were able to piece together developer intent and recreate it. Of course, having access to some of the original team members helped, too!”
inXile CEO Brian Fargo added, “We were extremely limited in what we could do in the 1980s. This is an opportunity to truly realize the vision that the original dev teams had, and in some cases fix a few bugs that are over thirty years old. Even with all the challenges this project presented, we’re thrilled with how this has turned out, and we can’t wait for our fans to start playing this.”
The Bard’s Tale Trilogy can be found here:
In 2015, a successful Kickstarter campaign for The Bard’s Tale IV brought the series back after nearly thirty years. As part of their commitment to backers and fans of the franchise, inXile embarked on this remaster project, as well. Now in 2018, the wait is over. The Bard’s Tale Trilogy is a chance for old fans to be young once again and for a new generation of roleplaying and dungeon crawler fans to discover why these games matter so much all these years later.
About inXile Entertainment
InXile Entertainment is a premiere video game development studio with locations in Newport Beach, CA, and New Orleans, LA, and is behind leading titles including Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, The Mage’s Tale, The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep, and Wasteland 3. Headed by Brian Fargo, inXile Entertainment is home to both industry veterans and up-and-coming talent, and is at the cutting edge of innovation in delivering high-quality titles to their passionate and dedicated fan base.
About Krome Studios
Krome Studios is the multi-award winning creator of the best-selling TY the Tasmanian Tiger series, and the developer of over 40 titles across PC, consoles and mobile; including Microsoft Game Room, The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. For more information, please visit www.kromestudios.com and follow on Twitter or Facebook.