TEAM OBEY ALLIANCE TAKES HOME THE CROWN IN $300,000 H1Z1®: FIGHT FOR THE CROWN™ TOURNAMENT
WHAT: Last night, H1Z1®: Fight for the Crown™, the first official team-based tournament for Daybreak Games’ massive competitive shooter, H1Z1®: King of the Kill®, came to an action-packed finish as Obey Alliance fired the last shots to win the tournament.
The one-hour primetime special, which aired last night on The CW Network*, featured one of the single largest esports fights with 15 teams made up of five players apiece. Pitted against one another in a high-stakes, single-elimination showdown for their share of a $300,000 prize pool, 75 players parachuted into the match simultaneously with only one life to give for their team.
*For viewers based outside of the United States and Puerto Rico, the tournament was simulcasted on the Twin Galaxies Facebook fan page.
- Obey Alliance, one of the world’s biggest gaming organizations, was crowned Fight for the Crown champion and ended the tournament with all five players alive. Obey Alliance walked away with the grand prize of $180,000. More about the winning team here: https://youtu.be/S6iKkVRskUM
- “JuanKorea” from World Best, a South Korean esports organization, helped his team claim runner-up honors and $60,000.
- Luminosity’s Adrien “Aydren” Morales, a runner-up at 2016’s H1Z1 Invitational, secured third place for his team and $30,000. Luminosity was captained by 2015 H1Z1 Invitational winner Tyler “Ninja” Blevins.
- Counter Logic Gaming’s Casey “Flamehopper” Pitel stayed alive long enough for his team to clinch $18,000 and fourth place.
- Denial Esports rounded out the top five, walking away with $12,000.
- Obey Alliance collectively racked up the most kills with 9 total in the tournament, followed by Luminosity with 8, Team Gates with 7, and World Best with 6 kills.
- Six players tied for the most individual kills with three kills each: Miguel “Mig” Medina (Obey Alliance), Grant “AladdinLTD” LaBelle (Obey Alliance), Aydren (Luminosity), Hogne “chipzy” Krogsæther (Luminosity), Derek “yungD” Diaz (Team Gates), and Garrett “Geesh” (Panda Global).
- 11 players were killed by the toxic gas that pushes everyone closer together over time.
- 11 different countries were represented in the tournament, ranging from Vietnam to Czech Republic to Canada. Enigma6, who earned 10th place, boasted a full European roster, while World Best, a South Korean team, finished second.
- Ohio Rebels was a community team that earned a spot in the tournament through the Fight for the Spot contest.
TEAMS (in order of placement):
- Obey Alliance
- World Best Gaming
- Luminosity Gaming
- Counter Logic Gaming
- Denial Esports
- Rogue Gaming
- Team Gates
- Panda Global
- SoaR Gaming
- Echo Fox
- Strictly Business
- Ohio Rebels
MORE INFO: A complete breakdown of the event is available at www.H1Z1FightForTheCrown.com.
The H1Z1: Fight for the Crown tournament and unscripted docuseries, which followed professional esports team Echo Fox, owner and former NBA player Rick Fox, and CEO Jace Hall in the lead-up to the competition, can be watched online on cwseed.com and the CW Seed App, available on Android, iOS, Roku, Apple TV and Xbox.
H1Z1: King of the Kill is a single-elimination, massive online shooter that pits 150 battle-hardened players against each other in a robust and detailed world. Search for weapons, ammo, armor, vehicles and supplies to get a leg up on your competition and be the last one standing. To learn more, visit: www.h1z1.com/king-of-the-kill, and follow the game on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Twitch.
H1Z1 was one of the best-selling games of 2016 on Steam and one of the 10 most-watched games on Twitch with more than 75 million hours of gameplay viewed on the platform last year. ESRB Rating: Rated M for Mature for Intense Violence, Blood and Gore, and Suggestive Themes.
About Daybreak Game Company
Daybreak Game Company LLC is a recognized worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online gaming. Best known for blockbuster hits and franchises such as H1Z1®, DC Universe™ Online, PlanetSide®, and EverQuest®, Daybreak creates, develops, and provides compelling online entertainment for millions of gamers worldwide.
To learn more, visit www.DaybreakGames.com.