Multi-award-winning indie games label signs Covenant.dev’s upcoming debut inspired by Slavic folklore and set in a world of primordial gods and legendary creatures
Wednesday, 26th January 2022 – Team17 has today announced that it will be working with Polish game dev creative house, Covenant.dev, to bring Gord, a single-player dark fantasy strategy game, to PC. In theworld of Gord, players will lead the Tribe of the Dawn as they strive to establish new settlements and explore eerie forbidden lands while interacting with horrific creatures and deities inspired by Slavic folklore. Players will have to complete quests to grow the tribe’s settlements (known as ‘gords’) and fortify these from invaders while managing a populace whose personal stories, familial ties, and well-being, can have devastating impact on the survival of their communities.
Covenant.dev is a 24-person creative development house including alumni from prominent Polish developers CD Projekt RED (The Witcher 3), 11 bit studios (Frostpunk), and Flying Wild Hog (Shadow Warrior 2). Headed by Chief Executive Officer, Stan Just, former producer on The Witcher 3, Gord is the studio’s debut title and aims to deliver players a mature and unforgiving strategy experience.
Gord Key Features
- Dark Fantasy Strategy: Lead the people of the Tribe of the Dawn and venture deep into forbidden lands in a lore-rich, dark fantasy, real-time strategy campaign
- Build and Survive: Grow your gord from humble settlement to formidable fortress while protecting your citizens from invading tribes, gruesome monsters, and mysterious powers that lurk within the surrounding woods
- Unique Sanity System: Keep a close eye on your townsfolk as everything from illness to hunger and the death of kin can have devastating impact on their lives and well-being
- Hand-Crafted Quests: Take on a wide variety of quests and random encounters that will lead you deep into the wilderness to hunt legendary creatures, uncover ancient secrets, and vanquish deadly scourges
- Unleash Powerful Incantations: Unlock a variety of offensive and defensive spells to tip combat in your favour
- Custom Scenarios with Procedurally Generated Levels: Take on an endless variety of challenges by creating your own scenarios. Customize your playthrough by picking a main objective, choosing your starting party, level size, number of resources, enemy types, raid intensities,
and even the severity of the weather!
Stan Just, chief executive officer, Covenant.dev, said:
“Gord is our debut game as a studio, and we’re thrilled to have Team17 as our publishing partner. They have an excellent global track record and have repeatedly proven that they care about smaller teams and helping them realise their vision. Gord is an unapologetically dark and sometimes quite confronting game; Team17 has been hugely supportive in helping us bring it to life and home in on what we really feel makes our world special. We look forward to sharing more soon.”
Harley Homewood, head of publishing, Team17 Digital, said:
The team at Covenant.dev already has an impressive development pedigree and Gord’s relentlessly bleak world and unique combination of city building, survival, strategy, and adventure promises something brand-new for PC players looking for a deeper and more mature experience. Bringing Gord onto our label solidifies our commitment to super high-quality and diverse games and we look forward to working with Stan and his team to welcome players to its brutal dark fantasy world.”
Covenant.dev is an independent game dev creative house offering well-executed and fresh gameplay experiences. The company works only on proprietary IPs and champions employee empowerment to help develop these into original, globally recognisable franchises. In 2021, it was also the first Polish game developer to be named as one of the ‘Best Workplaces in Poland’. Core team members have experience at notable Polish game development studios, including CD Projekt RED, 11 bit studios, and Flying Wild Hog. Covenant.dev’s first title will be the upcoming dark fantasy strategy game, Gord.
About Team17 Digital
Founded in 1990, Team17 Digital is a leading developer, video games label, and creative partner for developers around the world. Part of Team17 Group plc, which floated on AIM in 2018, Team17 Digital has an extensive portfolio comprised of over 120 titles, and fully encapsulates the spirit of independent games. Team17 Digital’s portfolio of multi-award-winning and award-nominated in-house brands include Hell Let Loose, Golf With Your Friends, The Escapists, and the iconic Worms franchise, alongside its games label partner titles, including the award-winning games Blasphemous, Greak: Memories of Azur, and Overcooked! franchise