Developer featurette details gameplay variety and changes
to trading sim’s strategic formula
Sydney, Australia – (19 June, 2020) – Publisher Kalypso Media and in-house developer Gaming Minds Studios have announced that upcoming trading sim Port Royale 4 is now available in closed beta on Steam. Previously exclusive to customers pre-purchasing the game from the Kalypso Store, access to the beta has now been extended, granting all Steam pre-orders entry as well.
Available in English and German, the Port Royale 4 beta includes the game’s tutorial, full Spanish campaign and newly added English-nation campaign, and the option to play as England in the game’s Free Mode. Players are also invited to complete a survey to shape the game ahead of its full release on 25th September 2020.
Arriving with the Steam beta is an updated beta roadmap, brand-new screenshots and is the ‘6 Seaworthy Questions’ video, in which Gaming Minds Studios Creative Director Daniel Dumont dives into Port Royale 4‘s varied gameplay as well as important changes to the series’ fourth entry, such as turn-based naval combat.
Port Royale 4 is available for pre-purchase on the Kalypso Store in two variants: a Standard Edition, which includes the base game on release and full access to the closed beta, and an Extended Edition, which adds a digital soundtrack and exclusive in-game bonus content.
In Port Royale 4, set sail and join the colonial powers of Spain, England, France and the Netherlands in their fight for supremacy of the Caribbean in the 17th century. Take control of a colony as a young and ambitious governor and learn what it takes to manage and grow a small settlement into a bustling trader city.
Develop production chains connecting multiple islands and create complex trade routes across the Caribbean, covering the ever-growing needs of multiple cities. Make use of the detailed sea map to avoid stormy weather regions, cliffs or shallow waters. Fulfil tasks for your nation’s viceroy, earning more fame to unlock town buildings, ships and more. Conquer the cities of rival nations or hunt down their fleets with a letter of marque while also keeping a keen eye out for pirates and other privateers.
Introducing: naval battles! For the first time in series’ history, combat encounters are turn-based, with up to 8 ships battling at once. Turn the tide with tactical captain manoeuvres to ensure a glorious victory each and every fight.
- Choose from four colonial powerhouses: England, France, Spain and the Netherlands, each providing different benefits and unique gameplay styles
- Four single player campaigns following each nation on a path to glory
- Appoint a leader from four different character classes: The Explorer, Merchant, Buccaneer and Pirate
- Establish and manage trade with 60 Caribbean cities in a huge game world
- Navigate cliffs, shallow waters and stormy weather regions to optimize your trade routes
- Choose from 50 buildings to produce goods such as rum and luxuries
- Construct town buildings with neighbourhood effects to optimize productivity and manage the happiness of your citizens
- Sail 18 historically authentic ships from the late 16th and 17th centuries
- Engage in tactical, turn-based naval battles with powerful captains
- Unlock licences, building permits, new buildings and ships by growing reputation within your chosen nation
For more information, please visit www.kalypsomedia.com
About the Kalypso Media Group
Kalypso Media Group GmbH is a fully independent publisher, developer and marketer of interactive entertainment software with 100 employees in 8 locations in Germany, England and the United States, including Kasedo Games, Kalypso Media’s digital-first label, and three development studios – Realmforge Studios (Munich), Gaming Minds Studios (Gütersloh) and Claymore Game Studios (Darmstadt).
Specializing in developing strategy games for a global audience on all modern platforms, Kalypso Media’s IP portfolio includes the full rights to the Tropico series, Commandos, Port Royale, Dungeons, Sudden Strike, and Railway Empire. Kalypso Media’s recent releases are Commandos 2 – HD Remaster and Praetorians – HD Remaster. Upcoming releases include Railway Empire – Nintendo Switch™ Edition (19/06/20), Dungeons 3 – Complete Collection (26/06/20), Immortal Realms: Vampire Wars (28/08/20), Port Royale 4 (25/09/20) and Spacebase Startopia (23/10/20). Kasedo Games’ upcoming titles include Filament, Distant Kingdoms and console versions of Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus.
More information about the Kalypso Media Group is available at www.kalypsomedia.com.