The Castlevania franchise has been one of gaming’s foremost vampire-killing series since it first appeared on the NES. With Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 set to release early next year, Konami have decided to share with us some facts and behind the scenes info about the series to date. So, without further adeiu – here are the top ten facts you probably don’t know about the Lords of Shadow franchise
- The design of Gabriel’s costume in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was based on the cover of the NES game “Simon’s Quest”.
- We considered various actors for the role of Dracula including Gerard Butler and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, both of whom have played Dracula.
- Mercury Engine 2 was designed for next gen systems and was built from scratch.
- Almost every single enemy and character has appeared in previous Castlevania games.
- The work of Guillermo Del Toro has been a big influence on the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow series.
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 uses a combination of orchestral and electronic music. This was done to highlight the past and present aspects of the game.
- Zobek is an amalgamation of the Dark Priest Shaf and Death from earlier Castlevania games.
- In Dracula Curse for the NES, if players completed the game as Trevor Belmont, during the end cut scene Trevor married Sypha Belnades. In Mirror of Fate Trevor is married to Sypha Belnades.
- Hideo Kojima played the character of Chupacabras in the Japanese version of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
- Hoko Kuwashima, Carmilla’s Japanese voice actress, also voiced Shanoa in Order of Ecclesia.
So there you have it, a bunch of really interesting behind the scenes info about the incredible Castlevania: Lords of Shadow franchise. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 will be releasing on PS3, Xbox360 and PC on February 25th, 2014. So as always, be sure to stay tuned to Capsule Computers for all the Castlevania news as it becomes available.