Fans of the tremendous sci-fi franchise Warhammer 40,000 by Games Workshop will be glad to know another game is coming in late 2015, not only for the PC, but surprisingly on the next-gen PS4 and Xbox One as well. A tantalising website is all we have so far, but the developer has spoken out on key details for the next big 40K project.
To the joy of some, and dismay of others, it will be an MMO. Some are right to be skeptical considering how that other ill-fated MMO, Dark Millennium, turned out. But so far things are sounding cautiously good.
First off, while the developer Behaviour Interactive is known for the largely unremarkable WET and Naughty Bear games, they’re promising a team of MMO tech experts from the recent Montreal layoffs and themselves as hardcore 40K fans to craft a title as daunting as Eternal Crusade.
Secondly, the MMORPG aspect is a “system driven virtual world in the vein of PlanetSide 2 or EvE Online.” That’s a good thing for MMO naysayers, as PlanetSide 2 has proven the genre isn’t just for quests and grinding pigs. The team is taking inspiration from co-op games like Left 4 Dead and Diablo to create procedurally generated PvE content.
Onto the gritty details that matter, check out the feature list:
- Experience the gameworld with 3rd-person, behind the shoulder action featuring precision gunplay and brutal melee combat with excruciating finishers
- Participate in a persistent online war to conquer the planet, its fate completely in the hands of the players
- Become a warrior from one of four initial factions, each unique and opposed to one another: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Orks and Eldar
- Participate in truly massive conflicts that simultaneously bring thousands of players to bear over territories and other strategic resources
- Get behind the controls of Space Marine Rhinos, Predators, Ork Battlewagons and other iconic vehicles of the 41st millennium
- Hack through genuinely challenging procedural content alongside your battle-brothers and never have the same experience twice
- Earn the right to customize your builds in a deep progression system drawing on the rich Warhammer 40,000 universe
- Found a Battle Squad with friends and prepare for conflict from your customized shared space in orbit – then drop down to the planet together and seek out glory!
If this list is anything to go by, if the game code is solid and the developers aren’t devoured by the legions of demanding fans we may just have a successful Warhammer 40,000 MMO.Related Articles for this post below: