Heads up Game of Thrones fans, the release date for season 2 has just been announced for DVD and Blu-Ray. As with the previous season the box-set will land just before the next one begins to air – gotta build that anticipation! In case you missed it, season 3 will premiere on March 31 2013, with Thrones-philes able to run through the second season on their platform of choice from March 6.
The first season of HBO’s hit show was the fastest selling TV Blu-Ray of all time, so prepare to see a lot of crowns held aloft on shelves next year. Both the DVD and Blu-Ray version will come with a large selection of extras, and as with most releases the Blu-Ray will sport a few extra treats.
Notable inclusions are a making of for the crucial Battle of Blackwater episode, commentaries from the cast and crew and animated histories of Westeros and Essos lore voiced by the headlining characters (Blu-Ray only for the last). The Battle of Blackwater episode was huge in scope and cost, so it’s certainly the episode to pick on for a closer look.
If Clash of Kings is on your wishlist, the prices and extras are as follows:
Game of Thrones S2 DVD Boxset RRP $59.95
Game of Thrones S2 Blu-Ray Boxset RRP $69.95
Blu-ray– includes all DVD features plus:
· War of the Five Kings – Track the claims, strategies and key players involved in the battle for the Iron Throne
with this interactive guide that follows the movements of various armies detailing their victories and
- · Histories & Lore – 19 animated histories detailing the mythology of Westeros and Essos as told from the
varying perspectives of the characters themselves and featuring, in-part, illustrations from Game of Thrones
storyboard artist Will Simpson.
- · In-Episode Guide – In-feature resource that provides background information about on-screen characters,
locations and relevant histories.
- · Hidden Dragon Eggs – Find the hidden dragon eggs to uncover even more never-before-seen content.
· Creating the Battle of Blackwater Bay – See how the epic Battle of Blackwater Bay was brought to life in this
exclusive, in-depth, behind-the-scenes look at the climatic episode. The 30 minute feature showcases neverbefore-
seen interviews with cast and crew.
- · Game of Thrones: Inner Circle – Actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Lena Headey, Michelle Fairley and Liam
Cunningham talk in detail about their experiences shooting season two in this roundtable discussion
moderated by executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.
- · The Religions of Westeros – Hear author George R.R. Martin, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss discuss the
competing religions in the series and how they influence the various characters in Westeros and beyond.
- · Character Profiles – Profiles of seven major characters as described by the actors portraying them including
Renly Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Robb Stark, Theon Greyjoy and more.
- · Audio Commentaries – 12 commentaries with cast and crew including David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, George
R.R. Martin, Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington and more.