Attention Villagers! There Hast Been a Series of Murders in the Towne and Thou art all Suspects. Prithee Report to the Towne Square for Trial and Potential Execution!
DATTELN, GERMANY (February 3, 2021) — It’s murder most foul, and everyone is a suspect…including you! Today independent developer VestGames is thrilled to announce that their riveting, upcoming social deduction game, Eville is now available to demo during the Steam Winter Festival. Combining the best elements of games like Among Us and One Night Ultimate Werewolf with a hefty dose of RPG elements, Eville takes a familiar genre to new heights, all wrapped up in a (seemingly) friendly fantasy village aesthetic.
A series of brutal murders plague the once tranquil village of Eville, a cozy medieval village with a rather inauspicious name. Under the cover of night, hapless villagers have met their demise at the hands of vicious killers who must be stopped at all costs! With no suspects in sight, it is up to the residents of Eville to determine the culprits and put a stop to their villainy before they find themselves at the end of the assassin’s knife. Work together as townsfolk and use your unique special abilities and character roles to deduce the identity of the murderer and put them on trial — or as a Conspirator and sow dissent amongst the villagers, disarming pesky traps, or helping the murderer take down annoying barriers and clearing paths for the killer. Remember, murder is a team sport! Who knows, perhaps you’ll be the dastardly villain next! Keep an eye out for player “tells”, and spot the murderer, or as the killer, deceive those rural rubes until it’s bedtime for Boris and Betty.
“Eville’s the next step in the evolution of social deduction games, and it’s going to bring an incredible amount of new ideas to the table, or should I say, town,” said Hendrik Hollenborg VestGames Owner and Lead Developer on Eville. “We wanted to make a title with all the backstabbing and hilarity the genre is known for, but with a level of depth and strategy that we know players will really enjoy.”
In Eville, each game starts with players being assigned the designation of honorable Citizen or murderous Conspirator! Specialized roles are also assigned to each player, granting them special skills and abilities to support their investigation or aid their systematic slaughter. In real-time, Citizens must use their social abilities, unique role skills, and call upon the help of NPC villagers to look for clues and identify suspects throughout the day, while Conspirators do their best to throw them off their scent. Villagers can purchase special tools and tomes to help suss out the village’s villains, while Conspirators may break in, loot homes, and wipe out the defenseless denizens by night. But should these foul evildoers get sloppy and give away clues to their identities, they’ll be accused, tried, and executed in a totally fair and impartial trial by their fellow village-dwellers. Let’s just say it brings a whole new meaning to “Trial by Fire.”
- More Strategy than a Queen’s Gambit: The combination of character roles, items and upgrades, unique skills, and a multi-layered map adds a depth of strategy and replayability that other games in the genre don’t come close to.
- Magical and Maybe Murderous Medieval Aesthetic: Murder and mayhem might be afoot in Eville, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a sunny stroll around town collecting herbs and chatting up vendors. You can even customize your avatar with different skins, outfits, and cosmetic items.
- The Wolves Come Out at Night: The day and night cycle isn’t just a gimmick, but a fundamental gameplay mechanic; during the day, villagers mill around town, going about their business before tucking in for a nice restful evening in their snuggly bed…Unless you’re the murderer, of course, where nighttime is the right time — to hack people to death while they sleep.
- Receive a Role, Play to Your Strengths: Eville casts players into different roles with every session, each with unique abilities and advantages. Enjoy flexing your voting power as the Mayor, or setting traps for the dastardly murderer as the Trapper, investigating suspicious villagers as the Detective, or cast doubts and aspersions by talking smack about the other players as the Slanderer.
- Let’s go to the (Medieval) Mall: When the sun is out, players can spend their hard-earned copper on items and upgrades to help them survive the night — or, conversely, survive the traps laid out by those tricky good-guys trying to prevent a blue-collar axe murderer from doing their thing!
Eville will be available for PC via Steam in Early Access in 2021. A multiplayer demo is now available starting today until February 9, 2021, during the Steam Winter Festival.
You can play the demo on Steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1220170/Eville/.
Keep up to date on all things Eville by joining the conversations on Discord and Reddit, and by following the game on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, YouTube, and the official website: https://eville-game.com.
VestGames is an indie game studio located in the Ruhr area of Germany that was founded in June of 2020 to complete development on the social deduction title Eville. Initially a solo-project, VestGames founder Hendrik Hollenborg worked on Eville for two years before founding VestGames to finalize development. The team began to expand in 2020, bringing on more programmers and artists with experience in multiple virtual reality projects spanning everything from emergency prevention to kitchen planning software. To learn more about VestGames, please visit the official website: https://eville-game.com/.