Development extended as Ludomotion pushes the boundaries
of radical content generation for its action-RPG
13 June, 2020 – Upcoming Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is coming to PC by way of the Epic Games Store, its development extended into next year, with a launch targeted for Q1 2021. A new trailer, showcased at the PC Gaming Show, offers another tantalising look at Unexplored 2‘s wondrous world.
Unexplored 2 is an ambitious roguelite action-RPG, featuring advanced world, level and quest generation, a gorgeous graphical style and a beautiful, orchestral soundtrack.
Publisher Big Sugar and Epic Games have agreed upon a one year exclusivity deal for Unexplored 2. This has enabled the extended development trajectory, allowing developer Ludomotion to explore the design implications of ‘radical content generation’ – an approach that pushes the boundaries far beyond traditional level generation.
Game Director, Joris Dormans, explains: “We’re taking a radical approach to procedural content generation. We’re creating complete worlds, and little worlds within those worlds: stories, quests, competing tribes. When all of these systems come together, they will create a game which is almost infinitely replayable.”
An Unexplored 2 closed beta will begin later this summer. Anyone wishing to participate can sign-up here: https://www.bigsugar.games/beta
To celebrate the extension of Unexplored 2’s development, Ludomotion and Big Sugar have released the new ‘One Quest. Unlimited Adventure’ trailer
Epic Games Store: https://www.epicgames.com/store/product/unexplored-2/home
About the game
One quest. Unlimited adventure. Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is a roguelite action-RPG and prodigious sequel to the critically acclaimed indie gem, Unexplored. Leave the Dungeon of Doom behind and venture into a vast, wondrous world as you embark on a heroic quest to destroy the mysterious Staff of Yendor.
Explore beautiful landscapes and discover hidden marvels. Encounter magical creatures and dangerous foes. Make brave choices and put your faith in good fortune. Featuring a unique legacy system, advanced procedural generation technology, and rich, generative storytelling, Unexplored 2: The Wayfarer’s Legacy is an adventure like no other.
- Legacy system: the actions of past heroes impact the fortunes of those that follow in their footsteps. Use your legacy wisely to give successive adventurers greater hopes of completing their quest
- Permadeath in a persistent world: when a hero dies, they stay dead. But you can choose to return to the same world with a new adventurer, forearmed with knowledge of what lies ahead. Or, if you prefer, begin a new adventure in a completely uncharted world
- Generative storytelling: there is no premeditated script in Unexplored 2. Every adventurer’s ultimate goal may be the same – to destroy the Staff of Yendor – but every hero will have their own unique story of the events and encounters that happened along the way
- Procedural generation: Ludomotion’s proprietary technology generates content that feels designed by humans, not algorithms, and can create a near infinite number of new lands, new places, new stories, and new challenges to discover
- Orchestral adaptive soundtrack: an intricate system allows Unexplored 2‘s music to be arranged reactively, making subtle changes to the score at appropriate times, whether a moment of high emotion, or to provide foreshadowing
About Big Sugar
Big Sugar is a new publisher that does what it wants. And what it wants is to work with talented independent developers and to publish the unique, fun, compelling, entertaining, memorable, and all-round high-quality games that they create. https://bigsugargames.com/
Based in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Ludomotion is an independent
developer aiming to advance gameplay technology and create all kinds of new
gameplay experiences. https://twitter.com/PlayUnexplored
Copyright © 2020 Big Sugar, All rights reserved.