BELGIAN PUBLISHER CRONOS INTERACTIVE RELEASES THIRD BEHIND-THE-SCENES LOOK AT VR GAME “JOURNEY FOR ELYSIUM”
NEW DEV DIARY “ART” EXPLORES VISUALS POWERING THE GREEK UNDERWORLD ADVENTURE
Ghent, Belgium, August 13, 2019 — Publisher Cronos Interactive and developer Mantis Games have released the third video in a series of behind-the-scenes looks at Journey For Elysium. This entry in the series focuses on the art, animation, and visual design of the game. The game’s dour scenery is inspired by a myriad of sources; from the architecture and religion of the ancient Greeks to the works of Gustave Doré. The team discusses the effort that goes into creating their own voyage along the river Styx.
A companion article has been published with the video on Mantis Games’ website. It goes into further detail on the art and animations in Journey For Elysium.
Journey For Elysium is a story-driven VR game inspired by ancient mythology. Players will take on the role of an unnamed hero who has passed away, traveling on a boat in the Underworld. In order to reach Elysium and obtain redemption, the mysterious traveller must use all his wits and skills in a series of increasingly elaborate twists and challenges. Along the way, he will discover more about his past.
- Puzzles: Journey for Elysium brings back the excitement of classic adventures games of the 90’s and revamps them for a new era. Solve an increasingly complex range of puzzles, challenges and tests to move the story forward.
- A lot to discover: immerse yourself in a rich world, grounded between history and myth. Explore breathtaking environments and unravel surprising facts of the Classical antiquity. Connect with your senses to this VR storytelling experience.
- Mechanics: travel on the river Styx and explore the underworld with the rowing mechanic, the most important travelling method in the game. This natural way of transportation is also very comfortable and immersive.
- Two modes: when you are not rowing, you can experience two different ways of moving around thanks to the Comfort or Immersive modes.
- Art style: enjoy the black and white art style inspired by the paintings of Gustave Doré. The high contrast art style fits best in recreating the desired atmosphere of the underworld. In addition, you will find golden highlights here and there, which will guide you further along the way.
Journey For Elysium will release in Q4 2019 and will be available on Steam for the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift VR systems.
For more information, follow @CronosInteractv and @Mantis_GamesBE on Twitter, or visit journeyforelysium.be.
About Cronos Interactive
Cronos Interactive is the independent video game publishing arm of Belgium leading technology group Cronos. Cronos Interactive strives to provide a platform for local developers to gain visibility for their projects on a global scale. Since 2017, the company has rapidly invested in the local interactive entertainment landscape and now operates promising studios such as Mantis Games, Not A Company, Glowfish Interactive and the 1UP Belgium video game convention. Hoverloop, Journey for Elysium and Trifox are the first projects currently in development under Cronos Interactive publishing stable.
About Mantis Games
Based in the city of Ghent, Belgium, Mantis is an independent game development studio founded in 2018.
With a focus on VR, AR and other emerging technologies, Mantis is committed to making games that are meaningful, memorable and, above all, fun!