INTELLIVISION® TO REVEAL EXTENSIVE DETAILS OF NEW VIDEO GAME CONSOLE ON OCTOBER 20TH
Intellivision Entertainment President Tommy Tallarico to Keynote the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in Portland, OR
IRVINE, CA, September 12, 2018 – Intellivision® Entertainment is proud to announce that it will be revealing extensive details about its upcoming new family home video game console at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo on Saturday, October 20th. Intellivision president and industry veteran Tommy Tallarico headlines the show as the keynote address for the largest retro video game convention in the world. Information to be revealed includes the name, logo and branding of the new console, the hardware specs (including the revolutionary new controller), launch date, price point, online capabilities, new & unique approach to doing business in the game industry, games available at launch, partners, publishers, game licenses, marketing strategy, developer relationships and game funding, technical specifications for game developer tools, the team and advisors behind Intellivision Entertainment, special guests, game industry supporters and backers… and much more… including a FIRST LOOK at what the new console and controllers will look like (3D renders only).
Intellivision Entertainment will also be sponsoring an exclusive Blue Sky Rangers panel consisting of never before heard original Intellivision past management as well as programmers and artists to discuss the revolutionary products and video game industry “firsts” they pioneered. Six of the biggest and brightest stars of the early 80’s era of Intellivision will be together again for the first time. Aside from the keynote address, Mr. Tallarico will also be presenting a separate talk explaining retro game audio creation from the 80’s & 90’s. All three of the Intellivision talks will be streamed LIVE and archived on the Intellivision Entertainment social media pages and website. The first 2,000 convention attendees and the first 500 keynote address attendees will receive an exclusive special limited edition Intellivision lanyard.
Intellivision Entertainment is bringing the concepts of SIMPLE, AFFORDABLE, FAMILY & FUN back into homes across the world with the introduction of their brand new home video game console. The original Intellivision system generated many “firsts” in the video game industry including the first 16-bit gaming machine, the first gaming console to offer digital distribution, the first to bring speech/voice to games, the first to license professional sports leagues and organizations and the first to create and utilize a directional pad (D-Pad) for game controls. Originally released in 1979, due to its popularity it was remarkably retailed across 3 decades and quickly sold millions of units. The new Intellivision system will carry on the company tradition of “firsts” with its new concept, design and approach to gaming.
Followers can subscribe to updates at www.IntellivisionEntertainment.com.
# # #
Portland Retro Gaming Expo
October 19-21, 2018
Oregon Convention Center
Intellivision Entertainment Keynote Address
Tommy Tallarico – President
Saturday, October 20
3:00pm to 4:15pm
Intellivision – A Legacy of Firsts! Panel
Blue Sky Rangers
Sunday, October 21
1:00pm to 1:45pm
Retro Game Audio Panel
Sunday, October 21
2:00pm to 2:45pm
INTELLIVISION FACTS & FIRSTS
· Intellivision was the first 16-bit game console, a full 2 generations before it became the industry standard.
· The original Intellivision system was so popular that it sold across 3 decades (1979 – 1990).
· The Intellivision control disc was the predecessor to what later became the industry standard directional pad (D-Pad). It was also the first game console to allow for 16 directions while offering 4 action buttons and a 12-button keypad, which opened up greater game play options and control.
· The Intellivision was the first programmable video game console that had a built in PAUSE feature.
· The very first video game to have speech/voice was the 1979 Intellivision release of Major League Baseball.
· Intellivision was the first console which incorporated professional sports licensing for its sports games, the boxes were emblazoned with official logos from Major League Baseball (MLB), National Football League (NFL), National Hockey League (NHL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA), North American Soccer League (NASL), Professional Bowlers Association (PBA), American Backgammon Players Association (ABPA), the United States Chess Federation (USCF) and the U.S. Ski Team.
· Intellivision had the largest home console software library in the world with the release of their cross-platform “System Changer” device that allowed Atari® 2600 games to be played on the Intellivision system.
· 30 years ahead of its time, the Intellivision was the very first game console to offer digital distribution of video games through the PlayCable service. The PlayCable adapter connected to the Intellivision cartridge port and allowed the downloading of games through a cable TV subscription. New York Yankee legend and Hall of Famer Mickey Mantle was the TV and print ad spokesmen for the product which was released in 1981.
· With the release of the Keyboard Component, Intellivision was one of the first video game systems that was able to be used and turned into a home computer.
· The Intellivision game Utopia© was the very first “real time strategy” and city building/god game.
· Intellivision was responsible for the first “Console War” when it launched a national ad campaign against then rival Atari®, by using side-by-side comparisons with journalist George Plimpton as its spokesman.