Nintendo‘s first Smartphone game Miitomo is available to download now on the App Store for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and through Google Play on most Android devices. Users create a Mii through the app or can import their original Mii from any Wii U or 3DS with a QR code.
Miitomo is a casual game that lets Mii’s communicate with each other by the user answering questions and sharing their responses with other Mii’s, with part of the fun said to be discovering new facts about your friends. According to Nintendo’s Facebook page the game has already received 3 million downloads which is quite impressive.
Also up and running is the My Nintendo Rewards system. Miitomo users who link the app to their account will be able to take advantage of My Nintendo to enhance their experience. The My Nintendo Rewards system has two distinct currencies, Platinum Points and Gold Points. To my knowledge, the Miitomo Points are also Platinum Points, with the only distinction being they were earned through Miitomo.
Platinum Points can be earned by completing missions which typically involve interacting with Nintendo apps and services, including Miitomo. Basically doing stuff like linking accounts and actually playing the games will give Platinum Points. These are mostly used for downloading digital items like themes and in game items (for Miitomo for example). At the moment there is also one exclusive game that can only be purchased with Platinum Points through My Nintendo, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Picross. They also give smaller discounts (in comparison to Gold Points) on a few select games.
A few example missions include:
- Link your Nintendo Network ID to your Nintendo Account – 100 Platinum Points
- Sign-in to Nintendo eShop (weekly) – 30 Platinum Points
- Sing-in to Miiverse (weekly) – 30 Platinum Points
- Link Facebook Account to Nintendo Account – 10 Platinum Points
- Link Twitter Account to Nintendo Account – 10 Platinum Points
- Link Google+ Account to Nintendo Account – 10 Platinum Points
- Link Miitomo to a Nintendo Account – 100 Miitomo Points
- Add a friend using the face-to-face method – 100 Miitomo Points
- Change your Mii’s clothes (daily) – 5 Miitomo Points
Gold Points are simply earned by spending money on Nintendo Products however this so far looks like it only applies to digital goods purchased on the eShop on Wii U or 3DS. Gold Points give free games or substantial discounts on the eShop. Below is a list of how many Gold Points you can earn for each purchase (prices in AUD).
- Downloadable game purchase $6 – $13 – 10 Gold Points
- Downloadable game purchase $13.01 -$25 – 20 Gold Points
- Downloadable game purchase $25.01-$37.99 – 30 Gold Points
- Downloadable game purchase $38-$51 – 40 Gold Points
- Downloadable game purchase $51.01-$63 – 50 Gold Points
- Downloadable game purchase $63.01-$76 – 60 Gold Points
- Downloadable game purchase $76.01 -$89 – 70 Gold Points
- Downloadable game purchase $89+ – 80 Gold Points
Users who sign up for a Nintendo Account before the end of April will also be able to download Flipnote Studio 3D to their Nintendo 3DS system for free. To claim the download, users must link their new Nintendo Account to the Nintendo Network ID they use on their Nintendo 3DS family system, then visit the My Nintendo website between March 31 and April 30 to get a download code that you can use on the eShop.
Nintendo also released a slightly strange trailer for Miitomo that you can watch below. To register for My Nintendo follow this link.Related Articles for this post below: