Greek mythology is a common inspiration for game developers and Digital Tribe Games are choosing the rich mythos as the inspiration for their newest title Depths of Fear: Knossos, which is coming to PC on Steam (and other major distribution channels) in March (details on Mac and Linux versions are said to be revealed soon). The game is labelled as a rogue-like fun-focused first person adventure game with stealth, action and plenty of edge-of-your-seat moments. The game will also focus procedurally generated crypts, temples, palaces and caves, making for a different experience for each player.
Players step into the role of Theseus while he hunts the Minotaur downward through the dark Labyrinths of Crete. As Thesus you will have to find the hero within before the ever increasing challenge of mythical creatures overwhelms you. Major features of the game include:
- An ever changing Labyrinth: Each stage in Depths of Fear is crafted to never be the same twice creating a constant state of tension of the unknown.
- Face the Beasts of Ancient Greece: Survive encounters against 8 immortal legendary creatures: Saytr, Cerberus, Centaur, Manticore, Griffin, Medusa, Hydra and the horror of the Minotaur.
- Diverse Gameplay: To survive one must learn when to sneak through the shadows, when to run and when to engage in combat as they attempt to survive each rung down into in the darkness.
- Knowledge is Power: Appease the gods by finding their books and earning their favor for special powers such as lightening from Zeus, Speed from Hermes, Earth shaking might from Poseidon or the illuminating light of Apollo.
- Build an Arsenal: Loot the labyrinths for gold to purchase 8 trusty weapons that range from Blades and Clubs to the Trident and Crossbow. Use these weapons to secure the 8 creature medallions that unlock the only weapon known that can slay the legendary beast Minotaur.
- Challenge the Unknown: When the adventure ends, the game has just begun. Beneath the skull a never-ending challenge awaits in the entrance of the unknown that provides countless replay value. How far down can you make it?
- Unique & Adaptive soundtrack: Featuring a tension-based music system, the soundtrack (recorded with mind-altering 70’s era synthesizers) adapts to your situation.
- Steam Feature Support: Achievements, Controller and Steam Trading Cards will be supported at launch. Full list to be announced later.
If you’re keen to check out footage of the game for yourself, head to http://www.twitch.tv/indie on Friday 14/3/2014 at 10:00 am PST for the world exclusive first look at Depths of Fear: Knossos as Indie and lead creator Phil Wiley play through the opening couple of hours.Related Articles for this post below: